12 large sea scallops (1 1/4 to 1 1/2 pounds)
2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
Salt and fresh ground black pepper
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 1/2 tablespoons butter
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 cup fresh basil leaves
3 to 4 lemon slices
- Pat the scallops dry using a paper towel. Dust one side of the scallops with flour, and season with salt and pepper.
- Heat a skillet over medium-high heat. Add the oil. When the oil is hot and shimmery, place the scallops, seasoned-side-down, into the pan. Cook, without moving them until browned, about 2 minutes.
- While the first side is browning, dust the unseasoned side of the scallops with a bit of flour and season them with salt and pepper.
- Gently flip the scallops.
- Add the butter and garlic to the pan, and then swirl the butter around the pan as it melts. Cook another minute or two then remove from heat. Stir in the basil leaves and lemon slices. Serve.