1 1/2 lbs rainbow trout or arctic char – 2 large fish fillets with skin on the bottom
2 tablespoons olive oil more, if needed
½ teaspoon salt to taste
¼ teaspoon ground pepper
4 freshly minced garlic cloves
2 tablespoons capers (optional)
3 tablespoons lemon juice freshly squeezed
2 tablespoons dry white wine
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons fresh parsley chopped
- Season the top of fish fillets with salt and pepper. Fish fillets will have skins on the bottom – no need to season the skins.
- In a large skillet (large enough to fit 2 fish fillets), heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil on medium heat. Add fish fillets skin side up – flesh side down. Cook the flesh side of the fish for about 3-5 minutes on medium heat until lightly browned.
- Flip the fillets over to the other side, skin side down (add more oil, if needed). Cook for another 2-4 minutes on medium heat.
- Remove the skillet from heat, close with the lid, and let the fish sit for 5-10 minutes, covered, in the skillet, until flaky and cooked through completely.
- After the fish is cooked through, off heat, using spatula, carefully remove fillets to the plate, separating the fish from the skin.
- Add diced garlic, capers, lemon juice, and white wine to the same pan with oil. Cook on medium-low heat for about 2 minutes, until garlic softens a bit. Remove from heat. Add parsley, and butter, off heat, to the sauce, stirring, until the butter melts and forms a creamy mixture.
- Add fish to the pan, spoon sauce over the fish. Plate the fish, top with the sauce, and serve.